NCPD: Feedback-Informed Treatment (FIT) and Deliberate Practice (DP)
with Ryan Kennedy, PsyD, LP, LAC, LMFT, LPC, ACS
DESCRIPTION: Current approaches to psychotherapy practice tend to emphasize the importance of modality or technique in achieving desired client outcomes. Mental health practitioners are typically concerned with "what" to do in order to support their clients in achieving their therapeutic goals. This view is supported by clinical supervisors who often over-focus on strengthening clinician skills through listening to narrative self-reporting by the practitioner followed by offering counsel or guidance as the key to improving client outcomes. The research on client outcomes tells a different story though. Indeed, reaching consistent and robust client outcomes is more a function of "how" the mental health practitioner interacts with the client rather than what types of skills or interventions are used. For instance, the research on common factors that lead to significant change across all behavioral health modalities indicates that relational factors between the practitioner and client have an average impact of about 30% whereas clinician modality or technique only accounts for about 15% of the change - the same amount of change accounted for by hope, expectancy, and other placebo-like variables. The greatest amount of change, at about 40%, is attributed to factors occurring in the client's life outside of the therapeutic relationship. With that in mind, it seems clear that both clinicians and their supervisors will have the greatest impact on positive client outcomes by attending first to relational factors that solidify engagement between practitioner and client followed by a focus on clinician competency development. This is where Feedback-Informed Treatment (FIT) and Deliberate Practice (DP) become important components of treatment. FIT is an evidence-based approach to evaluating and improving the quality and effectiveness of the therapeutic relationship developed by psychologist, Scott D. Miller, PhD. FIT tracks both the overall results of the therapeutic work across sessions along with the quality of the therapeutic relationship within each session so that modifications can be made early and more easily. Deliberate Practice is an approach to skill mastery that relies on practicing at the edge of one's ability using regular and active feedback spaced across time to achieve mastery. Used together, they help practitioners, managers, and supervisors better tailor services to fit the needs of clients and thus improve their therapeutic outcomes. NOTE: This training can be taken independently and is also part of the Noeticus Administrative and Business Effectiveness - Practice Endorsement™ (NABE-PE) and/or the more comprehensive Noeticus Counselor Training and Practice - Certification Program (NCTP-CP); Save an additional 20% by purchasing the complete NABE-PE Course Package. Learn more or register HERE.
- DATE: October 12 and 13, 2023 (Thursday & Friday).
- TIME: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- CE CONTACT HOURS: 15.0 Contact Hours.
- CE APPROVALS: DORA, NAADAC, NBCC; Applicable to the Noeticus Administrative and Business Effectiveness - Practice Endorsement™ (NABE-PE) and/or the more comprehensive Noeticus Counselor Training and Practice - Certification Program (NCTP-CP).
- RECOMMENDED TEXT: Participants may find it helpful to read this book edited by FIT developers and trainers, David S. Prescott, LICSW, Cynthia L. Maeschalck, MA, and Scott D. Miller, PhD available HERE.
- PREREQUISITE(S): None.
- PAYMENT PLAN: A payment plan can be established through the online registration process.
- DISCOUNTS: Groups of 3+ = Save an Additional 10%; Military/Veterans = Save an Additional 15%; Graduate Students = Save an Additional 20%; BBIPOC/LGBTQIA+/Social Justice Rate = Save an Additional 25%; Noeticus Staff/Former Staff = Save an Additional 30% (Only One Category Available; Discount Provided Automatically at Check-Out).
- PACKAGE DISCOUNT: In addition to the discounts mentioned above, save an additional 20% by purchasing the complete NABE-PE Course Package. Learn more or register HERE.
Oct 12 - 13th, 2023
Thu - Fri from 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Noeticus Center for Professional Development™ (NCPD)
Zoom Live-Streaming Platform
Denver, CO 80207 Get directions
Room: Zoom Live-Streaming Platform