NCPD: Attachment-Friendly DBT® for Distressed Couples
with Ryan Kennedy, PsyD, LP, LAC, LMFT, LPC, ACS
DESCRIPTION: In adult relationships, difficulties with self-regulation are often rooted in problems with early invalidating environments, but invalidating environments in adult relationships can be fostered and often exacerbated by pervasive disruptions in self-regulation. This is a dangerous trap that can snare many unwary couples. Ideally, adult partners would be able to turn toward one another for validation and comfort when intense emotions arise using tools that facilitate clear connection. Frequently, however, this healthy urge for connection is communicated in distorted ways because there is a perceived or real threat to the underlying structure of the relationship that doesn’t convey a sense of “safe haven.” The result of that dynamic is an all too common scenario in which, “just when your partner most needs you to connect, it is often the most difficult time to do so.” In that moment, a dual set of skills becomes very useful, those being the complementary skills of self-regulation and relational co-regulation. Learning to recognize and apply self-regulation skills within the context of relational co-regulation can be a tricky business though. Both sets of skills are necessary for healthy, securely attached adult relationships and often therapists gravitate toward one side of the equation at the expense of the other depending on their individual theoretical orientations. This training is designed to highlight the utility and necessity of both skill sets and aptly place them in a dialectical framework with one another. This training emphasizes the importance of balancing individual self-regulation skills within the context of relational co-regulation. It provides experiential activities and integrative techniques designed to support both in a dialectical fashion. NOTE: This training can be taken independently and also as part of the Noeticus Relational and Systemic Approaches - Practice Endorsement™ (NRSA-PE); Save an additional 20% by purchasing the complete NRSA-PE Course Package. Learn more or register HERE.
- DATE: April 13 and 14, 2023 (Thursday & Friday).
- TIME: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- CE CONTACT HOURS: 15.0 Contact Hours.
- CE APPROVALS: DORA, NAADAC, NBCC; Applicable to DBT® Certification; Applicable to the Noeticus Relational and Systemic Approaches - Practice Endorsement™ (NRSA-PE).
- RECOMMENDED TEXT: Participants may find it helpful to read this book by DBT® trainer and author Alan E. Fruzetti, PhD, available HERE.
- PREREQUISITE(S): DBT® Facilitator Training or Other Basic DBT® Training.
- PAYMENT PLAN: A payment plan can be established through the online registration process.
- DISCOUNTS: Groups of 3+ = Save an Additional 10%; Military/Veterans = Save an Additional 15%; Graduate Students = Save an Additional 20%; BBIPOC/LGBTQIA+/Social Justice Rate = Save an Additional 25%; Noeticus Staff/Former Staff = Save an Additional 30% (Only One Category Available; Discount Provided Automatically at Check-Out).
Apr 13 - 14th, 2023
Thu - Fri from 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Noeticus Center for Professional Development™ (NCPD)
Zoom Live-Streaming Platform
Denver, CO 80207 Get directions
Room: Zoom Live-Streaming Platform