Filter by Category
NCPD: ACT and RFT Training
with Ryan Kennedy, PsyD, LAC, LMFT, LPC, ACS
DESCRIPTION: Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT; pronounced like the word "act") is a mindfulness-based, third-wave cognitive/behavioral therapy developed to guide clients in discovering what truly matters in their lives so they can move more effectively towards those things and away from what doesn’t matter. Based in the philosophy of Functional Contextualism and organized around principles of Relational Frame Theory (RFT), the primary aim of ACT is to increase psychological flexibility, which has been shown to be associated with having a fuller, richer, more meaningful life. ACT cultivates psychological flexibility through experiential practices that strengthen six key, interlacing processes, often referred to as the ACT Hexaflex. These are: 1) Cognitive Delusion; 2) Acceptance; 3) Present Moment Contact; 4) Cultivating Self-as-Context; 4) Values Strengthening; and 6) Taking Committed Action. The good news is that the ACT skills associated with strengthening psychological flexibility through the six processes have been shown to be applicable to many other theoretical orientations and approaches to counseling. This experiential training introduces practitioners to the foundational philosophy of ACT along with the theoretical framework of RFT that supports it. It then provides participants with the opportunity to learn and practice various tools for facilitating clients through the ACT Hexaflex so that they are more open to experience, aware of their choices, and engaged in purposeful action.
- DATE: January 14 and 15, 2020 (Tuesday & Wednesday).
- TIME: 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- CE CONTACT HOURS: 15.0 Contact Hours.
- CE APPROVALS: DORA, NAADAC, NBCC.
- RECOMMENDED TEXT: Participants may find it helpful to read this book by ACT therapist and trainer Russ Harris, PhD, available HERE.
- PREREQUISITE(S): None.
- DISCOUNTS: Groups of 3+ = 10%; Military/Veterans = 15%; Graduate Students = 20%; Noeticus Staff/Alums = 25% (Provided at Check-Out).